Information we may hold about you
- Information you’ve provided to us, including our websites
- Information about products and services you’ve ordered or enquired about
- Information provided by other companies who have obtained your permission to share information about you
- Information about your interaction with adverts and services such as registration, comments
- Information we collect using cookies stored on your device (for example, this may be a PC, phone or tablet) about your use of MailOnline and/or selected third party websites. For more information on cookies and how to manage them, please see our cookies notice below.
- Your IP address, this is a number that identifies a specific network device on the internet and is required for your device and is required for your device to communicate with websites
- Technical information from your device relating to the service you receive
- Information relating to the location of the device you use to access our Site.
Please do not submit your personal information to us if you do not wish us to collect it.
Message boards, blogs and other public forums
Please note, the Site makes message boards, blogs and other such user generated content facilities available to users of the Site and registered users can provide content for and participate in these facilities. Any information that is disclosed in these areas of our Site becomes public information and you should always be careful when deciding to disclose your personal information.
Email a friend and share this article facilities
Please note, when you use these facilities and provide us with personal data (e.g. the name and email address) of a third party, please ensure that you have their consent before giving us their details.
Location-based and user specific services
Delivery of certain content on the Site requires you to agree to the use of your location (for example to deliver content, advertising or services such as weather that need to be relevant to where you are) along with an anonymous device identifier to enable us to recognise your browser or mobile device and provide these services across subsequent visits to our Site.
Your location will be determined either from a lookup of your public IP address (sent in the request for content to our servers) from a public GeoIP database (effectively giving us the location of your Internet Service Provider), or directly from the device depending on its capabilities and the permissions granted to access this information.
If you consent, your location and Device Identifier will be used so that we can, together with our advertisers, provide content and advertising which is relevant to both you and your location (called “Personalised Advertising”). Please see Internet Based Advertising, Advertising Services below for further information.
You can unsubscribe from these user and location based services or withdraw your consent to receiving Personalised Advertising at any time by setting the ‘Do Not Track’ preference in your browser. More information about how to do this is available by visiting our ‘controlling interest based advertising and other third party cookies’ page. You can also set the ‘Limit Ad Tracking’ property located in the settings screen of your Apple iPhone or iPad, or by resetting your Android ID through many of the apps that do this available in the Play Store. You can also stop all information collection by uninstalling applications on your device. You may use the standard uninstall process available as part of your mobile device.
How we may use your information
By using this Site, you agree that we may collect, hold, process and use your information (including personal information) for the purpose of providing you with the Site services and developing our business which shall include (without limitation):
- Verifying your identity (for example when you return to the Site)
- Personalising your visits to the Site and developing the design and style of the Site to improve the services provided to you
- Informing you about the latest changes to the Site, or products, services or promotional offers that you might find interesting
- Dealing with, and responding to you about, a comment you have submitted for or on our message boards, blogs and other such user generated content facilities
- Enabling you to share our content with others e.g. using our Email a friend and Share this article facilities
- Informing you if you have been successful in any Site competitions or promotions
- Compiling customer reviews
- Conducting market research
- Carrying out statistical, technical and logistical analysis
- According to your preferences, communicating (and personalising such communication) with you:
- To send you periodic newsletters about your chosen services
- To send you direct marketing. This may include communications by post, telephone or email or SMS about us and our business partners’ products and services, events and special offers, including where applicable, for a reasonable time after y